18 January 2010

A Goal for 2010

Notice that I didn't say resolution? I don't believe in those because well, I always seem to fail at those. Goals, though, I can get behind.

So, last year, in an effort to try and live more cheaply, ahem, frugally, I started trying to come up with a couponing routine. I did pretty well, for a while, but then I had this beautiful baby girl come along, and I fell off the wagon. I had the best of intentions, but it just was really hard to do. I decided to make 2010 my year for really getting this.

My friend, Becky, at one point last year, pointed out to me that I needed to be tracking my percentage saved. The more I thought about it, the more I realized she was right. Even though I love math, and I teach math, I must humbly admit that I am awful at percentages. So, what's a girl to do? Ask her tech-savvy husband to make her a spreadsheet. Now, when I get back from shopping, I can plug it all in and see how much I am saving!

Do you know what that has done? It has turned me into a raving lunatic savvy shopper! I am totally obsessed with seeing how much I can save! Last week, I did a run to Walgreens to stock up on Lubriderm. I never used to buy it, because it can be pricey. I have now stocked up on it and it pretty much will last me all year! I had great coupons, it was on sale, and I had a rebate! All this together meant that I saved 62%! On Saturday, I went grocery shopping. I saved 34%! I was excited about that but moreover, I was motivated to do even better next time!

I am off to Walgreens in a bit to stock up on Bayer Quick Release Crystals. The stuff is a dream for getting rid of headaches! This week if I buy 3 of the 20 packs (at $2.19 each-normally $8!), I get a register reward on a future purchase of $6! That is like getting it free! The key though is if you buy more than 3 to separate the purchases.

I am really getting into this! I love saving money, how about you? Any saving tips you'd like to share? Do you want me to share more of what I am learning as I learn it?

7 comments:

Thou Art Jules said...

oh I love it! Share more, share more! :-) Please...

I have tried to do the coupon thing too and never follow through. I always wonder if I'm actually saving money if I'm buying something I wouldn't normally buy? I definitely need to get a grip on it.

Kim H. said...

Aldi! Although, I know you're banned from going there. :) I'm tellin' ya -- for pantry items, it's a hands-down winner.

I too have also started the Walgreens couponing and have racked up big.

I ALWAYS try and stick to my list which prevents impulse, expensive items from making their way in to my cart.

Not that I always do this, but when we menu plan, we tend to save a lot more money too.

Hugs, honey!

Dawn said...

Good for you!

Christy said...

I second the menu planning, if I go and shop without a strict list and menu then I spend WAY over what I should.

I used to play the grocery game but it got to be too much for me.

Therese said...

we don't have coupons here that I read about on other blogs and message boards but I do stock up on anything non perishable when it is on sale.

I think my biggest money saver has been cooking all our main meals ahead and avoiding take away.

Herd Momma said...

Ditto on the menu planning. And yes please share more...more...more...
Thanks to your post I intend to pay more attention to Walgreens.

Jamie Jo said...

this is how I save:

I pretty much only go to Wal-Mart and Sam's club and the regular grocery store (we don't have a super wal-mart) and rarely go anywhere else, unless I have to, like the craft store, etc..

Only going to 3 places helps, doesn't it? I don't see all those sales? I keep telling myself that anyway!


Good job!