20 August 2009

Recipe Swap Thursday!

It's that time again! Today, I decided to share my breading recipe, and what I made this week because it was that good!

Growing up in an Italian household, pretty much any meat we had was breaded Sicilian style. Chicken, steak, pork chops, you name it. It really helps to seal in the juices and is just plain yummy! So, first, the breading recipe. I should note that these measurements are approximate as Italians do a lot of NOT measuring!

Breading:

1 1/2 C plain breadcrumbs
1/2 C grated Parmesan (add more if you like your breading cheesier!)
salt, pepper, and oregano to taste (probably about 1/4-1/2 tsp each)

You can make this in bigger batches and store in the fridge. When you use it, pour out what you need.

I made breaded chicken on Tuesday, and I have to say that it was one of those times that it was soooo good!

Here were my steps (and I use the same for pork chops as well)

1. Pour enough oil in a skillet to coat the bottom of a pan and heat at medium to medium high heat.
2. Dip chicken in egg, allowing excess to run off.
3. Place in breading, flipping the meat to coat both sides.
4. Cook in oil until both sides are golden brown.
5. Place in covered pan to continue cooking in oven.

On Tuesday, I had some huge boneless skinless chicken breasts, so when they were golden, I placed them in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes and then turned it down to 300 for another 30 minutes. Low and slow will help keep the meat moist and yummy. Again, I follow the same steps for pork chops. For steak, I dip in oil before the breadcrumbs and the either cook under the broiler or grill.


Now, I want to hear from you! Share your recipe, and fill out the Mr. Linky below. Please link back to me on your blog! Happy cooking!


6 comments:

Gramma 2 Many said...

Is it really Thursday already? Better go find a recipe, naw it can wait until I wake up in the morning. I will do it then.

Therese said...

I have my chicken snitzel recipe up. It is very similar to your recipe but I still wanted to post it because I bake mine in the oven.

Thanks so much for hosting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,
Your recipe sounds so mouth watering.

I will post mine soon.

Blessings,
Jillian
<><

Nikki said...

I use the same ingredients to make my breading, but I found a trick on my mayonaisse jar that I love.

Instead of dipping the meat in an egg (which always gets really messy here), you can spread mayo on it with a rubber spatula (much neater) and then sprinkle on the breading mixture.

I don't even brown mine in oil when I use mayo. I just stick the breaded chicken in the oven at 325-350 and cook for 30-40 mins. The oil in the mayo made the chicken very tender. We're having it for dinner tonight. It's a staple around here.

Frizzy said...

I'm participating this week! Yummy sounding recipe by the way.

Sharon said...

Just added a recipe of my own, and used Mr. Linky but I can't tell if it worked. I did put a link to your blog on my post, though! :)