11 August 2008

In memory of my Mom...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments about my rant. I have been very blessed to find those of you who read and comment on my writing here. Rest assured that my family and I are doing better. Now onto more important things...

As I was sitting and feeling sorry for myself on Saturday, I realized that there was a deeper reason. I kept thinking to myself How did my Mom do it? At some point, it hit me. Monday (today) is the anniversary of her death. I mean, I knew it was coming up, but a part of me always tries to push it away. Well, it is here, and I am OK. I miss her terribly, but I realize that she wouldn't want me wallowing. I am going to spend the day with my boys, and my husband (when he gets home) celebrating the person my Mom was. My Peter only has vague memories of her, and the other two don't remember her (Michael wasn't even born when she died). Andy and I promised each other that we would always keep her memory alive for the boys. My Mom's children and grandchildren were everything to her, so she would want that.

So, how will we spend the day? I am going to take them to the park in the morning, and then pick up lunch for them on the way home. My Mom used to always insist on taking the boys through the drive-thru for lunch if we had taken her to a doctor's appointment or shopping. I will also take some time to show them some of the family videos Andy made while Mom was alive. I am going to make a special dinner and dessert. Not sure what yet-I made my Mom's meatballs for dinner last night, so we'll see what I come up with. Then. we'll finish up the day watching the Olympics. Mom loved watching those, and we are trying to instill that in our boys. Peter has wanted to watch non-stop since they started!

So, I leave you all with thanks for being here, and thanks for reading. I want to share some pictures with you of my Mom. I think she was beautiful, and I am proud to be her daughter!




We came across this picture while we were going through my parents' pictures. I had never seen it before. I think it may have been one of her graduation shots.

This is my Mom and Dad with my three oldest siblings, Sal, Frank, and Mary.


This picture was taken on our trip to Texas in 2002. We were celebrating Peter's 2nd birthday.

10 comments:

Susie said...

When I lost my dad, I found that it really helped to do things that made me feel closer to him. We would eat his favorite foods, watch his favorite shows, look at pictures...just like you are today. So, I think you are on the right track...enjoy your boys and your memories.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a really great day, and enjoy that yummy drive thru food. Ummm...fries....

You're mom was very pretty, and she looks like a happy grandma!

Shannon said...

I am sorry for your loss. Today will be tough, but I hope you have a good day...

The pictures of your mom are lovely.

TheMama said...

That is such a beautiful picture.

Speaking as a "kid" (of 30) who lost their last grandparent at 20, it's the little things like french fries, or in my case, Fudgecicles, that stay with you

And they really do stay with you, beter than you'd ever imagine they could.

Deanna said...

what a lovely mother....

What a good idea to take the day to remember her!!

Hope your day turns out to be wonderful and the boys enjoy sharing in her memories!!

Amy said...

Your mom was beautiful! I love looking at old photos of my mom and reminiscing about her. It hasn't been a whole year yet since she died. I hope you have a wonderful day remembering and honoring your mom :)

Kelly said...

What a beautiful lady she was...you can tell she was special by the way you honor her and celebrate who she was with your family.
Enjoy your memories and your family today...I know how hard it can be!

Sherri said...

I love that top photo!!! They just don't do great photos like that anymore!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the photos. I'm sorry you miss your mom. At least you have great memories of her you can pass one to your boys.

Gramma 2 Many said...

Therese, what a beautiful picture of your mom!! You are an amazing person for the love you show for her. What an inspiration to your boys. Keeping her memory alive for them is the best thing you could do.
I am using a computer at the resort I am staying at and people are backing up behind me so must not linger too long. Keep heart, you are a beautiful person with a lovely soul.