19 April 2010

Saturday

On Saturday, Andy and I attended the funeral for dear little Ava. For such a horribly sad occasion, it was such a beautiful testimony to so many things-a beautiful little girl taken home to Jesus too soon, our Catholic faith, as well as the blessing of big families.

I love the parish we are at. We were blessed to get Fr. Dan last summer as our new pastor. He is such a wonderful priest! He handled the funeral beautifully. I know he spent a lot of time with the family over the past few days. He was so inspiring. In his homily, he spoke directly to the children. He told them that we will never know in this life why this happened. We are a blessed parish to have him leading us.

Looking at the family on Saturday, I was reminded of my family. I was reminded of what a blessing big families are. When things happen (both good and bad), it is so wonderful to have so many to lean on. You could see and feel the love in this family, supporting and holding each other up. It reminded me of when my parents' died. I don't know how I would have made it through without them.

As you make you way through the day today, please remember the family in your prayers. There will be difficult days ahead as they return to living, and they need our prayers to help them.

6 comments:

Frizzy said...

Man! What a sad sad thing. I can't wait to find out the answers to WHY? myself.

I'm sad anyone has to suffer loss. Let alone the loss of a child.

Will for sure keep them in my prayers.

Gardenia said...

what sadness for this family, and for you as well, a friend of theirs. I am praying now for them and for Little Ava, now a saint in heaven. and how wonderful that you have such a wonderful pastor at your parish.

Kim H. said...

Oh Therese, I am praying, praying, praying. So, incredibly sad.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Oh, how very sad. It is true, though, what you've said about the comfort & consolation of having a big family to lean on. I saw it when my own dear niece was killed in a car accident at the age of 19.

I will be praying for Ava's family.

Nancy said...

Therese...what it all boils down to is...all we really have is each other anyway. I think that's how God intended it. Places, things, they are all fleeting, but reaching out to the ones we love in their most desperate time of need...this is what it means to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Hi Therese,
Ava - what a beautiful name. God obviously decided that He needed her in heaven. :)

I'll be praying for her family, for they will surely be missing her.

Have a great week,
Love and blessings, Jillian ♥