24 May 2008

Ways of Saving Money

As always, I have been looking for ways to save money with gas now at $4.19/gallon and groceries getting more and more expensive. I thought I would write about something new I have started doing. This post was actually inspired by my friend Sydney's post a couple of weeks ago.

A few months ago, I started going to a local beauty school for my haircuts and color. I used to go to this salon that I absolutely loved, but at $120 every 6 weeks or so, I just couldn't do it. Instead, I pay $30 for a cut and color. I know, I could do the color myself, but I have really dark hair, and I worry about it looking like shoe polish (which is how some older Italian women tend to look when they do it themselves). I have been really pleased with the results. I have pretty easy hair which is hard to ruin.

A couple months ago, I signed up to be a model at the school. I would actually use the term guinea pig, but I didn't know that at the time. Anyway, I got a phone call 2 weeks ago see if I could come in for a haircut as a model. She did a really good job, but at the end, I asked her how long she had been in the program. She said 3 weeks! I was her first live person (so glad I didn't know that beforehand). Again, she did a fabulous job! Then she called a couple of days later to see if I wanted to come in for a color, so I did. Again, she was great. Yesterday, I went in for a wash and curl. Next week, I am getting my nails done. The best part of all of this? IT WAS ALL FREE!

2 comments:

Susie said...

You are a little bargin hunter, aren't you? I love a good deal!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great idea. I'm extremely frugal when it comes to haircuts. In fact, I've only paid for a haircut once in the last six years. The rest I do myself. Now that's cheap! ;)