27 December 2007

My Anniversary

Eleven years ago today, I married my husband, Andy. I have to say that these have been the best 11 years of my life. Has every day been perfect? No, of course not, but it has been the growing closer through all things that has made my life wonderful. From the birth of our three sons (Peter, Drew and Michael) to the deaths of his grandmother, my parents, and the miscarriage of our precious Jordan, I wouldn't change a thing.

This morning, my mother-in-law called. Now, I will admit that I have not been the most patient person as of late with her, but this time of year tends to be hard on me with missing my parents. It was very sweet of her to call this morning and wish us a happy anniversary, but why did she need to tell me that as I get older I will realize that an anniversary is just another day? It really annoyed me, I must admit.

It isn't that I expect a big celebration every year because, quite honestly, it just can't be that way. We got married 2 days after Christmas, and by the time the holiday is over with, there is usually no energy, and no money left to celebrate. Most of the time we lump Christmas and Anniversary presents together, and just go out for a quiet dinner. Last year for our tenth, we did celebrate big-two nights at a B & B! To me, I would rather do something big every few years so I don't take things for granted.

So why did her comment bother me? I'm not sure. It should sadden me that she doesn't see her own marriage as a reason to celebrate. I guess this is one of those things that I will need to show by example. A marriage is what you make of it. Andy and I have made ours of love, respect and trust. I am very blessed to spend my life with him. Happy Anniversary, Honey!

No comments: